Friday 13 July 2012

Cleverdicks (Week 1 Re-Runs) - Thoughts?


As mentioned Challenge TV have been re-running the quiz show CleverDicks, as previously aired on Sky Atlantic. Rumour has it that Sky are looking at the viewing figures closely for this re-run to decide on a second series and for the majority of people, including me, its the first chance to see the show it a full run.

I reviewed the first episode of Cleverdicks when it first aired and repeated the review earlier in the week so you will find that further towards the bottom of this page if interested.

After 5 shows my opinion of Cleverdicks has not changed much at all. I still am really enjoying the show and until Mastermind, Brain of Britain and University Challenge return it is my favourite broadcast quiz by a mile. The questions are well pitched, the idea of the contestants being picked on quizzing ability to right up my street and the general overall show is very entertaining.

This week has seen a whole range of faces known in the quizzing world pop up. Rob Hannah won a fantastic four shows before going out in the fifth, David Stainer set a first round score that I think is still a record on show one, Brian Pendreigh of Mastermind, Eggheads etc has also appeared coming a close second. Add to the mix GP regulars like Stephen Dodding, Michael Mcpartland and Nic Mortimer and you have a selection of the UK quizzing scene.

As a side note, I was pleased to see Nic Mortimer on the show. I do not attend GP's often as of yet but always purchase the questions from the British Quiz Association and Nic Mortimer is always the name in and around the sort of score I am getting so its good to put a face to the name!

Anyway, I have said Cleverdicks is fun, informative and overall very enjoyable with good questions but there are a few things I dislike.

1. The lack of reward from round to round. Resetting scores obviously adds to the tensions and gives everyone more of a chance but the fact that great runs like David Stainer's in the first round of the first show are unrewarded and wiped out after the round seems harsh. Maybe just a bonus for the highest scoring player etc would work on Cleverdicks. I noticed on a few episodes, naming no names, players took the eye off the ball when they knew they had made it into the next round. Giving them something to play for in each round rather than qualifying would work better.

2. Guessing. Obviously Cleverdicks  rewards good guessing which is not a bad thing at all but the way in which the players can buzz and buzz and buzz without penalty seems rather silly. Already in 5 episodes "guess-a-thons" have exploded in which the top quizzing players in the country have shouted after name after name.....heck, I would do it if I were on so no complaints.....but it just takes the edge of sometimes. Locking Cleverdicks players out of the round where an incorrect guess has been made would lead to more thought out answers and careful play.

Of course each episode has been won on skill. I have yet to see a round where pure guessing has resulted in victory but the format I imagine could prove frustrating for some.

But those are two minor gripes in what I am finding to be a great show and I hope Cleverdicks is a success on Challenge and we see another series. 


I would love to hear other peoples views on Cleverdicks.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this show has some interesting symbolism. There are a lot of triangles used in this show, and the questions in the first round and the buzzer questions in the second round seem to resemble the way "buzzwords" or "buzzclues" would be structured in a tossup in pyramidal quizbowl without the excess verbiage of having to put them in a paragraph. Also, with the way that the second round is structured, they seemed to do just enough to avoid being sued by the parent company of University Challenge for copyright infringement. That company has been extremely litigious over the last 25 years with anything that resembles their product on or off camera.
    Anyway, back to the show. I agree that the round 2 guessathons are horrible and there should be one buzz per question per person, but it's almost necessary to do in round 4 because there are enough non-standard quiz questions that even regular top-flight quizzers are having to use their drops too early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only just seen this post Daniel, thanks for the mention! I look forward to some friendly rivalry at GPs in the future :)

    ReplyDelete